Visa & Entry Requirememt

As an international student, you will need to apply for a valid visa. Your host establishment will help you in initiating the process. However, it would be good to begin the process early, instead of leaving it to the last couple of weeks or so. You need to gather all the relevant documents.

If your native country does not belong to the EU (European Union) or EEA (European Economic Area), you will have to apply for a student visa. The process is quite simple. You will need to submit certain documents to the authorities of Immigration & Naturalization Service (IND). They include
  • Your completed application form
  • Academic transcripts
  • Valid passport
  • Two photographs (specified size)
  • Birth certificate
  • Confirmation letter from the university where you will be studying
  • Receipts acquired for paying requisite fees.
  • In case, you are from China, you will need a NUFFIC certificate.

You will also have to provide sufficient proof of your financial status. Are you capable of supporting yourself for the length of your stay? Give an affirmative answer via your scholarship letter and your bank statement. Show receipts of the transfer of some/all of your funds.

Your host institution will apply for an MVV on your behalf. This refers to a Provincial Residence Permit, for entry into Holland. However, MVV suffices only for six months. Your course is bound to stretch anywhere between one and four years.

Your host establishment, therefore, will apply for a VVR, which is a Residence Permit. There is a condition attached to the possession of VVR. Your credit scores will have to remain at 50% throughout your years of study. Do work hard!

Finally, you will need health insurance. If you are from Switzerland or from a non-EU/EEA nation, you may use your EU Health Insurance Card. In case, you desire to work part-time too, go in for Dutch basic healthcare insurance plans. 

Obtainning resident permit

Your host university will have to apply for a Residence Permit on your behalf. The authorities will have to initiate the process within five days of your arrival in Holland. Do keep track of what is happening in this regard. Check with the establishment regularly.

Your Residence Permit's continuous validity is dependent upon your study credits. Ensure that you retain the scores at 50% and above every year. Sometimes, sudden illness or other issues prove to be hindrances. Therefore, request your student counselor for help and advice.

This individual will help you figure out if the university can exclude you from this rule of 50% credits or not. Your reasons must be valid, if they are to excuse you for your non- performance. Do not hesitate to approach the counselor. Otherwise, the university will decide to send you home.

A student counselor works closely with the university and the international office. If this person decides that the institution may grant you an extension, you are safe. You cannot apply for the extension of your Residence Permit by yourself. Only the host establishment can do this, after the international office grants permission.

The host organization will charge for any service that it undertakes on your behalf. However, the expenses vary from establishment to establishment. Check the costs beforehand. In case, you are from an EU/EEA nation, you will not require an MVV or VVR.

You may go in for part-time work during your stay in Holland. However, the hours are limited, just about ten hours or so each week. You may work full time during June, July and August. Your employer will have to apply for a work permit on your behalf, if you are from a non-EEA/EU nation.

You will receive your wages only by showing a citizen service number or Burger Service Number. The local municipality will issue you this number. As a wage earner, you will have to pay your taxes. Sometimes, even your scholarship becomes eligible for taxation.
Share this post