Are you interested in studying in Portugal? You are not alone! There are plenty of international students, who move to Portugal for their higher studies. The country is home to some of the most prestigious and highly ranked universities in the world. Here, we have a complete guide for international students to stay and study in Portugal.
Education system in Portugal
Portugal is a signatory to the Bologna Process. Thus it upholds the standard of Europe in Higher education. You can obtain all the higher education degrees in Portugal. Here are the details of it.
• Bachelor in Portugal for international students
Both universities and polytechnics offer bachelor’s degrees in Portugal. To study at the Bachelor's level in Portugal, International students need to present a transcript of upper secondary education, and must also pass an entrance exam. You can obtain your degree in six to eight semesters or three to four years of study. You can even study a bachelor's degree in Portugal in English.
• Masters in Portugal for international students
To study master's in Portugal, applicants will need to possess a relevant bachelors or equivalent diploma. You can also find English-taught masters in Portugal. You will need to attend 3 to 4 semesters or 1 to 2 years, for obtaining a master’s degree. However, some more professional programs such as medicine or law can take a longer period of study.
• PhD in Portugal for international students
PhD degrees in Portugal can be obtained at universities and university institutes. These are independent research degrees supervised by academics who are experts in their fields. Students pursuing PhD are required to publicly defend their thesis at the end of their study program. PhD in Portuguese universities can take up to three years of study and research.
Portugal Universities Admission
The admission process of Portuguese universities is not at all complicated for international students. You will be required to fill up the online application form for the course and university you choose to apply to. You need to present the following documents to study abroad in Portugal:
• A completed application form.
• Proof that you passed the entrance examination.
• A recognised declaration certificate on completion of high school or Bachelor’s degree.
• Transcripts of previous education.
• Statement of purpose or Motivation letter stating your purpose of applying to a particular course in a particular university.
• 2-3 Letter of Recommendation.
• Receipt of payment of application fee which is around 50 Euros.
• Portfolio required for some degrees such as fashion degrees.
Different institutions have different admission requirements. So, make sure to check the courses and university requirements before you start applying.
Universities in Portugal
Portugal is home to several well-reputed universities. As per QS world university ranking, 7 Universities in Portugal are top-ranking universities. Here is the list of universities in Portugal for international students as per several ranking entities:
1. University of Porto
2. University of Lisbon
3. Universidade Nova de Lisboa
4. University of Coimbra
5. University of Minho
6. University of Aveiro
7. Other Universities in Portugal for international students are:
• Oporto Global University - UPT
• CESPU - Cooperativa de Ensino Superior Politécnico e Universitário
• Catholic University of Lisbon
• Polytechnic Institute of Bragança
• University of the Algarve
• Polytechnic of Leiria
Popular degree subjects in Portugal
There are plenty of study disciplines you can choose from. International students can also opt for professional courses in Portugal. Here are just a few of the most popular options to choose from:
• Study Medicine in Portugal
• Study Finance in Portugal
• Study Architecture in Portugal
• Study Management in Portugal
• Study Nursing in Portugal
• Study Engineering in Portugal
• Study Culinary Arts in Portugal
Study in Portugal in English
The English taught courses are one of the reasons to attract international students to Portugal. There are several study programs available at Portuguese English universities. The most popular courses for international students in English speaking universities in Portugal are:
• Study General Engineering
• Study Computer Sciences in Portugal in English
• Study Biomedical engineering in Portugal in English
• Study Nursing in Portugal in English
• Study Finance in Portugal in English
• Study Medicine in Portugal in English
Study in Portugal after 12th
For the international students who want to start their studies earlier at the graduation level in Portugal, there are several courses available to be applied for after 12th. No matter in which field you want to study, commerce, science or Arts, there is something for everyone aspiring to pursue an undergraduate course in Portugal colleges for international students.
Study in Portugal without IELTS
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is one of the essential English language tests requirements all over the world as proof of language capabilities. For many, getting required bands in IELTS is challenging to their university admissions. If you are among them, here is good news for you.
Yes, you can choose Portugal university without IELTS to study for your further education. Several colleges in Portugal do not demand IELTS provided that the previous education of the student was completed in the English language.
Cost of Study in Portugal
Universities in Portugal are some of the affordable universities all over Europe. The public universities in Portugal are more affordable than private universities in most cases. The public universities in Portugal can cost you around 1,200 to 1,400 euros per year for a Master’s degree, while Ph.D. courses would be around 3,500 to 4,000 euros per year. Tuition Fees for the Portugal degrees in private universities differ with the university, course, and the location you choose.
Study in Portugal Scholarships
International students can study in Portugal with fully as well as partially funded scholarships, even if they are not from the EU countries. The scholarships can be offered to international students based on their needs and academic results. With the help of scholarships, you can make a way to study in Portugal for free.
International students have plenty of scholarships available to study at the University of Portugal. The government, universities, and other offering entities provide scholarships to study in Portugal for international students. Along with education loans and Grants, scholarships are some of the most preferred ways for international students to fund their studies in Portugal.
Portugal Study Visa
Students from countries outside the EU/EEA region who seek to study in Portugal for more than 3 months must get a student visa before entering the country. Here are the requirements for a visa to study in Portugal for Indian students:
• A Valid Passport
• A completed application form
• Letter of acceptance from a Portuguese university;
• Academic transcript
• language proficiency proof
• Photocopy of key passport pages
• Three passport-sized photos
• Police record of good conduct
• A valid health insurance
• Proof of monetary funds – either a bank statement or grant/scholarship.
Applying for a Portuguese student visa can cost you about 170 euros based on the country of origin. It will take two or three months to be issued, so you should apply in time.
Study and work in Portugal
International Students from outside the EU/EEA region can work part-time during their studies in Portugal. They are allowed to work for up to 40 hours and more during the holiday and in the summer months. To work in Portugal while you are studying on a student visa and residence permits for Portugal are allowed to work in Portugal after authorization from the SEF.
Many students find that choosing part-time work in Portugal is both convenient and rewarding. The work environment is very relaxing and students also get enough time for their studies and even some time left for their extra activities.