Medicine deals with the study and practice of the diagnosis of diseases, its treatment, and its precautions. These days the advancement of technology has led to much more efficient use of diagnostic skills and far greater recovery rates. As a field of academic study, medicine is always evolving which makes it a fascinating subject at both graduate and undergraduate levels.
Medicine is often thought of as a difficult degree and so it is well respected equally. Moreover, the work done by Medicine graduates constantly requires training and learning as discoveries are found frequently. Many students plan to study for their medical degrees abroad. Here is everything you need to know about Studying Medicine abroad.
Advantages of Studying Medicine Abroad
There are several advantages to studying Medicine abroad. It can be a great opportunity for students to study in another nation, learn a new language while studying, and gain experience in health services in an international environment. Some of the main reasons for studying medicine abroad are given below :
- Best World Class Infrastructure - When you study medicine abroad you come across the best infrastructure which will enhance your experiences in other nations. This can prove to be advantageous for you.
- Opportunity to get great International Exposure - While studying medicine in the international atmosphere you get an excellent opportunity to get great exposure to the various cultural and social activities which will develop your skills in many aspects.
- Advanced technology - This is one of the main reasons for studying medicine abroad. Maybe the home country is not as advanced as the host country. So you will get a chance to work with advanced technology and level up your knowledge.
- Working with experts - Studying medicine abroad will allow you to work with the experts and know more about the field. This is one of the finest reasons for studying medicine abroad.
Medicine Program Structure
The structures of Medical programs vary depending on the country you are studying in. Generally, a medical program is a combination of undergraduate and postgraduate study to obtain the level of a qualified professional. To qualify as a doctor can take between 6 and 12 years of training, which is a mixture of theoretical learning in a classroom setting and practical experience in hospitals and clinics.
Top Countries to Study Medicine
Many countries all over the world give the best medicinal education to their students. Some of the countries are mentioned below:
- Study medicine in United Kingdom
- Study medicine in United States
- Study medicine in Australia
- Study medicine in Canada
- Study medicine in Netherlands
- Study medicine in Sweden
- Study medicine in Ireland
Top Universities to Study Medicine Abroad
Medicine is often looked at as one of the most rewarding yet challenging fields. Here are the top universities in the world to pursue your medicinal degree.
- Harvard University, United States.
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Stanford University, United States.
- University of Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- Johns Hopkins University, United States.
- Karolinska Institute, Sweden.
- The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), United States.
- Yale University, United States.
Applying for an Overseas Medicine Course
Medical study abroad programs can be very competitive to gain entry. Some students build up as much work experience as possible, including a relevant bachelor’s, before applying for graduate entry. Now when you have decided to study medicine abroad, you need to follow the following steps to move forward:
- In medicine, there are almost 60 specialist areas, and the degree can be applied to different roles if needed. Medicine graduates can mix and match those specialisms in a way that most interests them, giving the degree a lot of variabilities.
- You should research the medical institutions in that place. Medical schools and colleges aren’t as numerous as typical universities, which limits the number of choices but also makes it easier to select the college to apply to.
- You should then research entry requirements and fees, and also check other students' experiences of those colleges.
- Once your specialization and university are finalized, apply for it with all the required documents.
- The university will evaluate your profile. If everything is perfect, you will receive your offer letter.
Entry Requirements to Study Medicine Abroad
To enrol yourself in an international medicine program, you will need to meet the university’s specific program requirements. You will need excellent grades in previous education as medicine programs are competitive. To study medicine, you may also need:
- A valid passport
- Proof of finances to support yourself through studying
- An interview
- A criminal record check
- Health checks
- You will also have to pass a medical entrance exam which can change depending on the country you are applying to study in. The MCAT, GMSAT, and UCAT are a few most commonly asked entrance exams.
- English language test scores (e.g. TOEFL or IELTS)
- Relevant work experience.
- You may also be required to demonstrate country-specific suitability.
Options of Employment
As medicine is one of the vocational studies, a very high percentage (generally 90%) of graduates will get employed. Medicine graduates will have a broad range of employment options, such as:
- Hospital Doctor
- General Practice Doctor
- Clinical Radiologist
We hope the above information on Study medicine abroad was informative and insightful. Many students are heading abroad every year to get the best medical education possible. If you want to be one of them, you should make your decision as soon as possible, as the competition is very high all around the world. You can contact us for any queries.