The USA is one of the preferred study abroad destinations for international students who are looking to obtain a widely valued international education. We all are also aware that it is one of the most expensive nations to study abroad. So we are here to help you. Here we have compiled a list of scholarships in USA for international students.
How to get scholarship in USA?You must begin your procedure to apply for scholarships around 8-9 months before your study intake begins. Here is the procedure of how to get scholarships to study in USA
- Research - You should start researching scholarships and other financial support opportunities in your home country.
- Contact chosen university - You must contact the financial aid office of the university in the USA, you wish to attend. Ask them for information about scholarships for international students in the USA and eligibility criteria.
- Research additional opportunities - Explore the scholarships options offered by the government, non-profit organizations and private organisations in the USA.
- Application form - You have to fill and submit the scholarship application form. You can also apply online for some specific scholarships.
- Fees deduction - If you are successful in obtaining the scholarship, then the awarded amount will be paid towards your university tuition fee in the USA.
Eligibility for scholarship in the USAEligibility for a scholarship depends entirely on the type of scholarship. There are no fixed criteria on whether you are eligible for a financial award. However, the common criteria for eligibility of scholarship to study in USA for Indian students and other international students are:
- Some scholarships require students to obtain a certain IELTS or TOEFL score;
- Some require you to have a certain GPA.
- Some require you to be from a specific country
- Some ask for certain years of work experience
You will need to research to see if you are eligible for a scholarship. It can be confusing, but remember that college admissions officers and financial aid experts are there to help you with the information.
Requirements for a scholarship to study in USAThere are no specific requirements for applying for scholarships in USA. Usually, the scholarship is offered on merit-based or need-based. Each organisation or institute has its own criteria. Here are some of the common requirements that you may require complete when applying for a scholarship in USA:
- A completed scholarship application form
- Copy of passport or Identification Document
- Copies of transcripts or Diploma
- IELTS or TOEFL Score
- Statement of Purpose or Letter of motivation
- Letter of recommendation
- CV (Curriculum Vitae)
- SAT/ACT/ GRE/ GPA and other test scores
- Parents' financial information, including tax returns
Scholarships in USA for international students 2021Here is a long list of scholarships available for international students to study in the USA. It includes scholarships offered by the government of the USA, private organizations and specific institutions.
Government-funded US scholarships for international students
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program – It is the most popular scholarship in USA offered by the government for international students. The program offers scholarships for graduate students, young professionals and artists to study in the USA for one year or more. All the international students in the USA can apply for this scholarship except students studying in the field of medicine.
- Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program – This scholarship program is a part of the Fulbright program offered to international, experienced professionals. To be eligible for this scholarship the candidate must be enrolled in 10 months of academic study in the USA. Also, note that this scholarship doesn’t support degree qualifications.
Non-governmental US scholarships for international students
- #YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship – It is a scholarship that aims at all international students studying any subject at a participating higher educational institution in the USA. You have to submit an essay or video to present your interest in promoting intercultural learning and exchange.
- David P. Shapiro Autism Scholarship – The Law Office of David P. Shapiro offers scholarships to students having Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD or Autism). The amount of $1,000 will be issued directly to the institute on the winner’s behalf.
- Civil Society Leadership Awards – It is a Fully-funded scholarship offered to international students from eligible countries. The student must be enrolled at the master’s level in the USA.
- Preply Scholarship -This scholarship is open to all international students aged between 16 and 35. Only Three international students will be awarded with this scholarship and receive an award of up to $2,000. As an application procedure you will have to write and submit a 500-word essay on specific topics. The topic can be related to online education, multilingualism, and professional development.
- Surf Shark Privacy and Security Scholarship - A $2,000 prize is provided to the winners of this scholarship. The student must be currently enrolled in the US institution. You will need to write and submit an essay to be eligible for the scholarship application. It is open for all international students.
- Tortuga Backpacks Study Abroad Scholarship – This is one of the popular scholarships for international students studying in the USA. It is awarded twice a year. The amount offered is worth US$1,000.
For Asian students:
- East-West Center Scholarships and Fellowships – It is a scholarship to study in the USA within specific institutions. It is aimed to provide financial assistance to international students from the Asia-Pacific region.
- Japan-United States Friendship Commission – It is a program run by Japan and the USA. This commission offers financial assistance to Japanese students wishing to study in the US.
- Wesleyan Freeman Asian Scholarship Program – This Scholarships program is offered only to 11 outstanding students from Asia to study at Wesleyan University in the USA. It covers full tuition and student fees.
For Australian students:
- Fulbright Program - It is a scholarship offered by the Australian-American Fulbright Commission to Australian students studying at any higher educational stage in the USA. Awardees study or research at a U.S. institution, experiencing life abroad and gaining knowledge. After completion, bringing back their knowledge and experience to share with their communities in Australia.
For female students
- AAUW International Fellowships – American Association of University Women offers Fellowship to female international students to study full time or pursue research in the USA. This is one of the PhD scholarships in USA for females.
- Bat and Ball Game Women’s Sports Scholarship – Only women currently enrolled in a sports-related degree at any USA university are eligible for this scholarship. To obtain this scholarship candidate must write and submit an essay of 400 to 600 words on a specific topic. The scholarship worth is $1,000.
- MIT-Zaragoza Women in Logistics and SCM Scholarship – It is a USA scholarship for female students studying at the Zaragoza Logistics Center at MIT.
For graduate students
- Rotary Peace Fellowships – This scholarship is awarded to international master’s degree students studying within one of Rotary’s Peace Centers such as at Duke University or the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in USA
For students from developing countries
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarships – MasterCard Foundation offers scholarships to students coming from african countries to pursue their studies in the US. This is the most popular scholarships in USA for African students.
- Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme – This scholarship is available for international students coming to study at the postgraduate level in the USA from an African country.
University scholarships in USA for international students
- American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship – It is Undergraduate scholarships offered to international students to study at American University in Washington DC. to be eligible for this scholarship you have to present your leadership skills.
- Harvard University Scholarships – Harvard offers various international scholarships for students from all over the globe. There is a tough competition to gain a scholarship.
- Brandeis University Wien International Scholarship Program – It provides financial assistance for high-achieving students with an interest in student community contribution at the campus.
- Emory University Needs-Based Scholarship Program – Funding opportunities are available for international students at Emory University, who face financial difficulty.
- Illinois State University International Awards – Various tuition waivers, merit awards and graduate assistantships are offered to the overseas students studying in the USA at Illinois State University.
- Iowa State University International Merit Scholarships – This is a Merit-based scholarship program open for high-achieving international students in the USA.
- University of Oregon International Scholarships – University of Oregon offers scholarships to the international students coming from different corners of the world to study at their campus.
- Clark University Global Scholars Program –International students who are wishing to study for an undergraduate degree at Clark University, can apply for this scholarship. It is merit-based scholarships offered by the University. Scholarships of around US$10,000 and a guaranteed $2,500 taxable stipend for a paid internship is awarded.
- New York University Wagner International Scholarships – This scholarship is offered to international students studying at NYU Wagner Graduate School of Public Service.
- Michigan State University International Scholarships – Michigan State University offers various grants and scholarships for international students to study in the USA.
- University of Arkansas International Scholarships –The University of Arkansas offers funding opportunities for international students coming from various backgrounds and nationalities.
- University of Iowa Scholarships for International First-Year Students – Various scholarships opportunities available for international students starting their first year in Autumn intakes.
- University of Wisconsin Superior Non-resident Tuition Waiver Program – The University of Wisconsin offers a tuition waiver for those international students who are facing financial difficulties.