Studying abroad is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that many don't get to experience. Being an international student is an entirely new experience on its own. When studying abroad, students should do their best to make the most of the experience.
International students should try new things, meet new people, and learn about a new culture. The experience isn't always the same. Studying abroad can be lonely and challenging. In this blog, we will cover different do's and don'ts when studying abroad and how they may affect the thinking and planning of a student.
Do's When Studying Abroad
The excitement of living in a foreign country and studying in a different culture can wear off with the stress of visa applications and homesickness. But there are quite a few things that international students can do to make the studying abroad experience better. Here are some of the things you should do while studying abroad:
- Do step out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself to try new things such as cuisine, sports, hobbies, etc. There is so much to see and do.
- Do budget your finances. Make sure you include factors like rent, utility bills, grocery, traveling expenses, data charges, recreation, study material etc in it.
- Do practice patience with yourself. You will learn as you go and as you experience, don’t rush your experience.
- Do set goals and don’t be hard on yourself if they change. Things are constantly shifting and pivoting. Focus more on flexibility than strict goals that give you no room to breathe.
- Learn to cook a traditional meal of your location so you can share it with your loved ones when you return home. This is an excellent way to connect with your local community and show gratitude for the food and culture.
- Do make an effort to understand and learn the local language of the new country. Even if you aren’t as fluent, the local people will appreciate your efforts and often guide you to learn more!
- Do evaluate your relationships and friendships before studying abroad. If you want freedom, adventure, and support, make sure those around you are also actively encouraging you to do so.
- Do Plan your schedule wisely. Divide your time between life, work, and studies. While you are in this new nation for your studies, try making the most out of it.
- Do challenge your assumptions. There is so much to explore, it's important to remain open-minded. Remember to live in the moment and savor these times of exploration because every experience is valuable!
- Head on to an adventure and know that you are in a continuous process of creation.
Don't When Studying Abroad
Rather than the educational hurdles, the biggest challenge you face when being an international student is trying to settle down in a completely new environment of study. Here are some of the things you should not do while studying abroad:
- Don't forget to take care of yourself. Self-care is still essential even while studying abroad. Create a routine that works better for you.
- Don't communicate with family and friends in your home country for 24 hours a day, be present in the place where you are. You did not come this far to only stay connected with your home. Being active in your current place will help you create a new home within this new country.
- Don’t forget to do the things you like doing while you are abroad, don’t forget to do the things that make you, you.
- Don’t forget about important documents. Keep track of all your documents. Keep your educational documents, visa papers, passport, financial documents, and travel documents safely in one place.
- Don’t be too discouraged if they respond to you in English when you are trying to speak your host country’s language. Keep practicing. It is the only way to get better.
- Don’t go to the other country with friends you already have, be open to making new friends in the new country.
- Don’t compare your study abroad experience with other international students. Your experience will be uniquely your own. Document it, dissect it, and direct it however you see fit.
- Don’t feel that you have to push yourself just because your friends are. Remain original to the experiences you want to have.
- Don’t forget you’re not alone. You have so many resources and people abroad to support you throughout this new and exciting experience.
- Don’t be afraid to fall in love. Always keep your heart open to the people you meet, no matter who they are, and also be open to meeting new versions of yourself.
Studying abroad is no doubt one of the most exciting experiences you can have. Whether you are studying in Europe, Australia, or Asia, you will have a lifetime of memories to look back on. Just follow these simple suggestions, and you’ll be all set to have a great time while studying abroad.
You should also read the following articles