You will be surprised to know that almost all the public universities have abolished tuition fees for both domestic as well as international students. It does not mean that education quality is compromised to offer free education. Still, it is seen that the degree obtained from Germany is recognized all over the world. There is a large pool of programs and schools to choose from.
How to Study in Germany for Free
Germany has become a favourite study abroad destinations for international students because of its excellent curriculum. Additionally, it is also possible to study for free in Germany
Here are the steps to study in Germany for free for Indian students and other international students
- Build a good academic background
- Research and check free university’s requirements
- Early application
- Apply for a university scholarship
- Apply for DAAD scholarships
- Apply for private scholarships
- Get a part-time job
- Manage expenses
Let us describe each step in detail so that it becomes easy for you to understand.
1. An excellent academic background
Each university checks for the academic background of every applicant trying to get into their colleges. They look for students that will raise their reputation. You should convince the officers to accept you at the university from your application. You should try to make the best application by including the following points:
- Convince that you are a potential student with a good GPA, research experience, and test scores.
- All your academic rewards and achievements
- Show the things which you excel at.
- Show your good behaviour and personality with the proof.
- To get good letters of recommendation, you have to behave well in your previous institution or company.
Universities expect their students to be well-mannered and excellent so that they can uphold the name of their institution on the students’ shoulders. So, If you want to raise your chances of securing admission in the universities in Germany, have a good academic background. Having a unique and excellent application is the most important step to study in Germany
2. Research and check the requirements of Free Universities in Germany
The good news is that many universities offer free education study in Germany for international students
. You can get admission to public universities to gain your education for free. There are around 300 public universities in Germany, and there are more than 1,000 courses offered. So you have a broad range of options to choose from.
You can apply for tuition free universities in Germany for international students
. You need to explore the university’s website in this case. Most of the public universities are on the list. You can also take advantage of study in Germany in English universities for free
Study in Germany Requirements
There are some document requirements to get admission in the German Public Universities. Keep in mind that the requirements for different courses are different and these are just the general requirements. To know the exact documentation of the course, visit the official website of the University.
- Test scores- GRE, GMAT, and IELTS/TOEFL,
- Academic transcripts
- Letter of Motivation
- Resume (mostly for business schools)
- 2 -3 Letters of recommendations
- Work experience certificates
- Certificates of extracurricular activities
3. Apply early
Once you finalize the university and course, without any delay start applying. In the present world, the competition is very tough. Applying as early as you can, will give you a head start from the other applicants or students in getting into the university. Advantages of the early application are :
- Your application will be processed fast
- You may get the benefit of an early bird discount.
- Applying early shows your activeness and eagerness in attending their institution. Thus your application will be prioritized.
4. Research Scholarships in Germany and Apply
Gaining scholarships from a university is a good step to study in Germany for free for international students
since it oftentimes provides living expenses as well. You can get a scholarship opportunity based on your
- Academic results,
- Athletic results,
- Artistic results
In Germany, most of the university offers scholarships to those whom they believed to be the assets of their country. Here we have mentioned a few german scholarships for Indian students
and other international students :
- Frankfurt School of Finance and Management Doctoral Tuition Waivers
- FRIAS Cofund Fellowship Programme for International Researchers
- Heidelberg University scholarships
- HHL International MSc Scholarship for Effective and Responsible Leadership.
- Humboldt University International Research Fellowships
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences Masters Scholarships
- Ulm University Scholarships for International Students
- Universität Hamburg Merit Scholarships
- RWTH Aachen University scholarships
The list does not end here. You can also refer to particular websites of the universities to study in Germany with scholarships
5. Apply for DAAD Scholarship
DAAD Scholarship(German Academic Exchange Service) is a government scholarship provided by the German government. It focuses on funding international students to get their education abroad. It offers a stipend every month to the winners of this award to cover their study expenses in Germany.
The applicant should have gained their graduation degree, not more than in the last 6 years to get the right for applying for DAAD scholarships. You should not miss the chance of applying for this Scholarship to be able to study abroad in Germany for free
6. Apply for external Scholarships from organizations and companies
Scholarships from private compies, especially from the organizations related to your study program, can be a major help to you. You will also find some people who just want to help you without asking anything in return. They have a good intention to help some specific students who are performing well in their studies but have a very low budget.
However, some companies require some students to pay back for their scholarships by working for them. All you need to do is research the companies that support your line of study and apply it to their scholarships. Scholarships opportunities can help to study in Germany for Indian students
and other international students for free.
7. Get a part-time job
The cost of studying in Germany not only includes Tuition fees and other school fees but also your other expenses such as Housing rent, food, clothing, and utilities, etc. If the scholarship amount is not enough to pay all these expenses you can work part-time to study in Germany for free.
The government of Germany allows international students to work up to 20 hours per week while studying. The country always reminds its students that education must come before labour. This is the reason it allows for 120 full days or 240 half days per year to work for overseas students.
8. Decrease your daily expenses
So now you have gained your scholarships, and also start working part-time, next you have to deal with the everyday expenses. Plan the expenses well. Rather than thinking about how to manage expenses, you need to think of ways on how to minimize the expenses.
You can try the following ways to decrease your everyday expenses:
- Find a room partner to share your apartment so that you can divide the rental expense.
- Cook your meals instead of buying them out.
- Get passes for local transport.
- Get student discount cards.
- Buy used books or digital copies.
- Shop during sales.
If you follow these techniques you will be able to decrease the cost of studying in Germany for international students.
We hope you got your answer for can I study in Germany for free
. You just have to explore the opportunities. By using all these techniques you can study in Germany free of cost